​​Financial Assistance

The primary responsibility for safeguarding and restoring public and private assets affected by an emergency rests with the owner. Asset owners need to have insurance and/or appropriate mitigation plans in place.​

However, Government recognises that communities and individuals do not always have the resources to provide for their own recovery and financial assistance is available in some circumstances.

Important Note: financial assistance is not compensation based and is not intended to replace insurance, self-help or other mitigation plans.

  • Emergency Accommodation
    Short term emergency shelter (e.g. evacuation centre) to medium term overnight accommodation.
  • Emergency Catering
    Meals for those rendered homeless and evacuees or assistance to help people buy food.
  • Emergency Clothing and Personal Requisites
    For example, toiletries and pharmaceuticals.
  • Personal Support Services
    Includes practical assistance, counselling, emotional support, information, referral, advocacy, childcare and psychological services.
  • Registration and Reunification
    Registration and inquiry services to help individuals to be traced, families to be reunited and inquiries answered during emergencies. The Department of Communities uses Register.Find.Reunite for this purpose assisted by the Australian Red Cross. Registrations may be completed at an emergency shelter or accommodation facility, or may be available for online registration.
  • Financial Assistance
    For essential items; emergency accommodation; replacement of essential household goods; and minor repairs to primary residences.

    If you have been affected by a disaster, contact the Department of Communities Disaster and Emergency Support Services or their Disaster Relief Hotline 1800 032 965 or via email at emergencyservices@cpfs.wa.gov.au.

  • Emergency Management Australia (EMA)

    Through the EMA (Department of Home Affairs), the Australian Government helps individuals and communities recover from disasters with financial support.

  • Services Australia

    DHS provides financial assistance and services to eligible people recovering from a major disaster or emergency through the following:
  • Disaster Recovery Payment
    A one-off, non-means tested payment for adults and children affected by a disaster either in Australia or overseas.
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance
    This is a short-term income support payment to help individuals who can show that the disaster directly impacted their income.
  • What other financial help is available
  • Services Australia also offer child care subsidy, additional child care subsidy and support for school aged children for people impacted by a disaster event.
  • Final a payment - through Payment and Service Finder
    The Payment and Service Finder is an online tool from Services Australia for disaster affected people to check if they are eligible to claim disaster assistance or other income support payments.
    Services Australia Emergency Information Line: 180 22 66

  • Services Australia (Centrelink)

    Centrelink will make sure that payments to its existing clients impacted by an emergency are not disrupted.
    Services Australia Emergency Information Line: 180 22 66

  • Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements Western Australia (DRFAWA)

    On 1 November 2018 the DRFAWA replaced the Western Australia Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (WANDRRA).
    DFES is the State's administrator of the DRFAWA. Through DRFAWA, the State Government provides a range of funding options to help communities recover from eligible natural disasters.      
    Email: drfawa@dfes.wa.gov.au
    Phone: (08) 9395 9341, (08) 9395 9973, (08) 9395 9374

  • Pre-approved Panel Contractors

    State Recovery, working with Western Australian Government Association (WALGA) and Local Government, has appointed a panel of Preferred Suppliers for Hazardous and Emergency Event Services.
    Pre-approved Panel Contractors will significantly speed up recovery efforts and ensure appropriate fees for service. Where ever possible, local providers may be considered to bolster local economy.

  • Public Appeals – Lord Mayor's Distress Relief Fund (LMDRF)

    Any money collected by the State Government in a public appeal for those people experiencing hardship and distress from a natural disaster in WA is paid into the Lord Mayor's Disaster Relief Fund (LMDRF). 100% of all donations goes directly to the people in need. The LMDRF is a registered charity with approval of the Australian Taxation Office for tax deductibility.      
    Email: LMDRF@cityofperth.wa.gov.au
    Phone: 1300 998 227

  • Legal Aid Western Australia (Legal Aid WA)

    Legal Aid WA may coordinate free legal advice and referrals to people impacted by a disaster. Assistance may include help with: insurance claims, ability to service a mortgage, debts, property, housing and replacing important documents.      
    Email: naturaldisasters@legalaid.wa.gov.au
    Phone: 1300 650 579

  • Non-Government Organisations (NGOs)

    In some circumstances, Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) can provide assistance by way of emergency relief funds, shelter, accommodation or household supplies. Examples of NGOs are the Australian Red Cross, Crisis Care and Volunteering WA.
    At the local government level, all offers of assistance should be coordinated through the Local Recovery Co​ordination Group and at the State Government level through the State Recovery Coordinator or the State Recovery Coordination Group to avoid duplication of effort and confusion.

  • Volunteers and Spontaneous Donations

    Money is the best donation in an emergency, but some people prefer to donate goods. This takes time and resources away from helping those affected by a disaster because donated goods need to be transported, sorted and stored. Volunteers or spontaneous donations should be coordinated through the LRCG.